This lighthouse stands on the edge of the high limestone bank on the northwestern coast of the Pakri (Packerort) peninsula. It is highly likely that a navigational mark already existed on the high bank of the peninsula during Swedish rule in the 17th century.
In 1724, Peter the Great ordered a lighthouse to be built, the location of which is said to have been chosen by Peter himself when in 1723 he visited Paldiski to plan a naval base for the Russian fleet. In place of an old light beacon a massive limestone lighthouse was put up which was 12 metres high. In 1760, however, the lighthouse was completely renovated. It was still made of limestone, now standing about 14 metres (48 feet) high.
At the beginning of the 19th century, candles replaced firewood for the light, and some years later an Argand lamp began to be used instead of candles.
In 1889, a new lighthouse made of brick was erected 80 metres from the old one, because there was a risk that the tower might collapse due to waves undermining the precipice. The slender tower now stood 52 metres tall. In October that year, a new dioptric device 2.66 metres in diameter was put into operation. In 1904, a separate stone building for a pneumatic foghorn was erected near the lighthouse.
In World War II all buildings around the lighthouse as well as the lighting device were destroyed. The tower itself fortunately survived and it was fully reconstructed in 1952.
Pakri lighthouse was last renovated in 2001, and since 2015 it has been open to the public.
|Region:||Northern Estonia||Coordinates:||59.3874 N, 24.037717 E|
|Light:||night||Light characteristic:||LFl W 15s|
|Height from base:||52 m||Focal plane:||73 m|
|Visibility of light:||12 M||Years of construction:||1724, 1760, 1889|
Information about visiting Pakri lighthouse can be viewed at the Visit Estonia website.