Sõrve lighthouse stands on the southern end of the Sõrve peninsula in Saaremaa Island and is one of the most important lighthouses on the western coast of Estonia.
In 1646, the governor-general of Livonia Gabriel Oxenstierna had a primitive lighthouse - a light beacon - erected on the little islet off the Sõrve peninsula. Autumn storms proved that the chosen location was unsuitable and the beacon was moved to the tip of the peninsula. In 1650 the originally wooden structure was replaced by a new one made of stone and designed by Heinrich Stegeling. It was about 9 m high and had a square layout. In 1663 Heinrich Stegeling was ennobled for his activities and he became the owner of Torgu manor.
In 1737 Sõrve lighthouse was nationalised. A vessel from the Baltic fleet was designated to provide wood and coal for lighthouses. Lighthouse keepers were chosen from amongst naval officers. The old lighthouse was reconstructed in 1770, so that the light was approximately 15 m above sea level, but this tower was desteoyed in World War II. The current conical tower of monolithic reinforced concrete was erected in 1960.
|Region:||Saaremaa||Coordinates:||57.909817 N, 22.055367 E|
|Light:||night||Light characteristic:||Fl W 15 s|
|Height from base:||52 m||Focal plane:||53 m|
|Visibility of light:||15 M||Years of construction:||1646, 1770, 1960|
In summer, visitors are welcome to climb to the top of the highest lighthouse of the Baltic region. More detailed information can be found on the Sõrve Visitor Centre website.