The front lighthouse of the Suurupi leading line stands on the northern coast of the Suurupi peninsula. The Suurupi leading line is made up of Suurupi front and rear lighthouses, erected 2.3 kilometres apart. The leading line helps navigators who are leaving Tallinn Bay, heading westward between Naissaar island and Vahemadal shoal.
The necessity for a lighthouse on that spot became obvious in 1856, when the post-Crimean War inspection of navigational conditions in the Baltic Sea and a review of lighthouses in the region revealed that most captains would like to see a small lighthouse on the Suurupi peninsula in addition to the existing one, Suurupi rear lighthouse.
The wooden 11-metre truncated pyramid with a gabled roof was completed in 1859. The light rose to 15 metres above sea level and could be seen from a distance of 10 miles. On the premises living quarters for the lighthouse keeper, a granary and a well were built. In a major overhaul in 1885, the lighthouse was built higher by 3.5 metres, so the light could be seen a mile farther.
In 1998, the conservation-restoration of the lighthouse ensured that the only 19th-century wooden lighthouse in Northern Europe was preserved. Suurupi front lighthouse is included on the IALA (the International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities) list of 100 most significant architectural heritage lighthouses still in operation, and the whole ensemble is under state protection as a cultural heritage site.
|Region:||Northern Estonia||Coordinates:||59.471667 N, 24.41655 E|
|Light:||day||Light characteristic:||Iso W 3 s|
|Height from base:||15 m||Focal plane:||18 m|
|Visibility of light:||11 M||Year of construction:||1859|